HISTORY OF THE HOLY ORDER AND THE FOUNDER
Saint Moses Orimolade Tunolase, Founder of the Holy Order, left Ikare in 1915 and his missionary journey took him to Lokoja, Jos, Zaria, Kano and later down to IIorin and Oshogbo until he arrived in Lagos in July 1924. His first residence was at Ebute-Ero Anglican C.M.S Church, Lagos. From there he moved in September to Ifako plantation, Agege of Chief J.K. Coker, founder of the African Church. In December, he moved to the residence Chief J.K. Coker at No.1 Balogun Square, Lagos. He intensified his preaching of the gospel in Lagos, be it in churches or through open air preaching. He quoted the bible freely and recited portions to the amazement of his followers who had grown to large numbers. However, there was no name for the band yet. On the 29th of June, 1925, Elder Hunny Moite and Mrs. Malomo (Iya Ibeji) called Baba to come and heal Miss Abiodun Akinsowon who was then ill as a result of the strange being she saw. She was healed of this mysterious vision and she subsequently became one of the followers of Moses Orimolade Tunolase.
As the number of followers increased, it became necessary to name the organization. Members were therefore asked to fast and pray for 3 days for spiritual direction on the name to be given to the organization. At 9:00am, on the 9th of September, 1925 after the members fasted and prayed for three days as directed, the Founder named the organization the BAND of SERAPH at Agoshofin, Lagos. In the year 1926, on the 26th day of March, the name CHERUB was added. The church thereafter became known as Cherubim & Seraphim. The Order spread very quickly and branches were opened at Ebute Metta (Nov. 1925) Agege and Egbe District (Feb.1926), Shegamu (March 1926), Ijebu- Ode, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Oshogbo and Ondo (April 1927). IIe-Ife and Ijabe (1928) and IIaje (December 1929)
Earlier on the 29th of September 1925, the Founder (Baba) named HOLY MICHAEL as Captain of the Order. On the 27th of November, 1925 he selected 70 disciples (45 brothers and 25 sisters) and named several bands shortly afterwards. The praying band was named on the 13th of December, 1925. In 1926, Baba named the Twelve Patriarchs, Army of Salvation, the Ester Band and Fogo Olorun Han Band. The Martha and Mary Bands were named by Baba in 1928. Baba took Captain Abiodun to police at Tinubu Station to separate her from the membership of the Order, and it was done.
The Ita Balogun Branch under Late Elder E.A. Davies, broke away from the Order on the 27th of May, 1929. On the 20th of August, 1931, Baba named HOLY GABRIEL as Vice Captain of the Order. During this period, Baba had moved from place to place in Lagos living with different people. As at the time the Order was named in 1925, he was living with Momo Giwa at Agoshofin. He moved on to live in the house of Mr. Holloway at Martin Street in June 1926. In April 1927, he moved to the house of W.A. Dawodu at Egerton Road. In October 1928, Baba moved to the house of Late Ezekiel Davies at Balogun Street, where he lived until May 1929 when he moved to Offin Canal as a result of the dispute. He left there to live at No.42 Daddy Alaja in September 1929, where he lived until May 1929. Notwithstanding all these difficulties, Baba was able to register the Order under the Company Ordinance Cap.18, as No.316 on the 14th of February, 1930. He departed Daddy Alaja in September 1933 for Ojokoro. He lived briefly at Osholake Street, Ebute-Metta on his way to Ojokoro.
Baba had earlier in December 1931, ordained Mrs. A Bickeseth as Mother Seraph, Mrs R. Johnson as Mother Cherub and Mrs. M.I. Adeoye as Captain, in place of Captain Abiodun who had been separated from the Church. In December 1931, the Order won a court case restraining the Praying Band and Ita Balogun from bearing the name C&S. The Order however, has since continued to spread across the land having established at Epe (June 1930), Ajase, Shaki and Oke Ogun (September 1931).
Baba finally moved on the 5th October, 1933 to Ojokoro farm of Late Revd. D.J. Oguntolu. On the 11th of October, 1933, Baba blessed Elder Onanuga, put one of his garments on him as his able successor. On Thursday, the 19th October 1933, at 3:00 a.m.,in the midst of his disciples, Baba took his last breath and was laid to rest at Ojokoro on the 20th October, 1933.